Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Read this na

Bhaskar: "Hi da macha, what you are doing?"
Kunal: "Hi Yaar, I was just doing time pass man. So, tell"
Bhaskar: "I told you na, that girl, remember? I saw her again da"
Kunal: "Awesome dude, full seeing girls and all nowdays aa?
Bhaskar: "Maannn!! She is awesome man"
Kunal: "So, what next dude? You will propose?"
Bhaskar: "Hey What da, I simply saw her thats all, just for that only if I propose off... thats all"
Kunal: "Ha ha, I was just kiddin man"
Bhaskar: "You are always kidding paa"
Kunal: "So, what was she wearing? Where did you see her? Tell me also no"
Bhaskar: "White T shirt and light blue jeans da, she was looking very hot da, awesome"
Kunal: "Wow dude, but where you saw her? You are not telling only"
Bhaskar: "Wait da, I will tell. Simply don't make urgent. I saw her in the mall with her mother"
Kunal: "Did you speak with her?"
Bhaskar: "No da de, I got afraid da, her mother was there no, that's why I avoided her fully"
Kunal: "aaawww. Its okay yaar, you will see her again, don't worry."
Bhaskar: "So, we will meet today or not?"
Kunal: "We will meet yaar, I told you yesterday na ki we will meet in front of the Pani Puri shop. You forgot?"
Bhaskar: "Oooo.. ok ok. I remembered just now. Ok macha, I will come there at 5 PM"
Kunal: "How you will come there? Get the bike yaar"
Bhaskar: "Mah bro will finish me off if I ask for the bike now da. Let me see, I will ask him anyways"
Kunal: "Ask your brother now only"
Bhaskar: "hmmmm, wait. Anna, can I take your bike today?"
Bhaskar: "No luck da, he is going with his friends somewhere"
Kunal: "Where it seems?"
Bhaskar: "Don't know pa, he will not tell that and all"
Kunal: "Okay yaar, both of us will again come by cycle only."

[At the 'adda']

Bhaskar: "What ra macha, you came 10 minutes late, you were doing make up-aa?"
Kunal: "Something and all you will tell yaar, I was stuck up in the traffic"
Bhaskar: "You were stucking in the jam? hopeless no, this jam? I hate it da"
Kunal: "Okay yaar, me feeling hungry, come we will have something"
Bhaskar: "No yaar, my stomach is not okay today. We will sit here come"
Kunal: "So, what your brother told about your plan of going abroad?"
Bhaskar: "The course is good it seems, he told me to start preparing"
Kunal: "Cool man. So, when will you give the exams?"
Bhaskar: "I have to start preparation now man, don' t know when I can give the exam"
Kunal: "So full belting now huh?"
Bhaskar: "Nothing like that da. Hey! look at those two items there, superb no?"
Kunal: "The red one is mine, you can take the other one if you want"
Bhaskar: "Bugger, I saw them first, the red is mine okay!"
Kunal: "Leave these girls man, you will anyway get videsi ones. You can enjoy fully there!"
Bhaskar: "Yeah da, it will very nice there. I'm just waiting to go there"

DISCLAIMER: The characters in the above conversation are fictional and any resemblance to any person is purely co-incidental.

Go to any public place and you can easily get to listen this kind of a conversation around you. Qualified software engineers who work for clients in the USA, UK or any other English speaking countries use this accent and vocabulary while talking. The effect of the vernacular languages creeps into English unknowingly and becomes a part of it by default. No wonder, the westerners make fun of our language.

Young kids too when playing in the neighborhood talk only in English even if all them talk in another language at home. But if people who have finished their education and working in a professional capacity talk in this way, it is seriously a very sad state. The importance of knowing the basics of English is very important at least in the industry that I am working in.

Many a times, business requirements will demand the employees of an organization to travel to the client's location to work which is referred to as 'Onsite' in my industry. In one such occasion where I was given a chance to travel to Germany for a month's duration, all I did was to observe how my peers would communicate with the client. A manager from a different project from my company was also working with me in Germany. His way of telling how the quality of a deliverable can be improved by following the processes defined in the system was

"We should.. like focus more on process aspect also.. so, then no, automatically the quality work will be there. So, the quality of the product will increase then"

The primary eligibility for a person to be let to work in such an environment is fluency in the language. Imagine what can the other guy understand when a dialog like the one above is said! Poor guy, the expression on his face was a rare sight, he just nodded his head and changed the topic!

If managers themselves are of this level, what can we expect from his reportees? Another famous expression used is "stuffs like that" or "kind of things" to generalize something.

"See, George told me that we can not do the module now and those kind of things. I just told him to finish the work by tomorrow and update the status. Otherwise, these kind of stuffs will be always pending only."

I'm trying to make a compilation of all such famous dialogs which I'll post shortly. Until then, either you keep wondering why is it so difficult for people to learn this language or you start enjoying the literal translations from a regional language to English, its your choice.

My choice is definitely the latter. Because, "I am like this only"!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with you more Dumma. Nice writeup on a deplorable topic.

DIVYA said...

I'm sorry but what do u want to imply? English is just another language. Please don't make such an issue out of it. So what if you are working for the clients in the US or UK? You are paid for your performance. Not everybody can afford convent education and polished language. If one doesn't know English, he is unfit to work in the ''industry you are working in'' is it? very funny.(Btw, are you working for some a call centre? If yes, it's perfectly understandable)

AMIT said...

Its a good written post from you.

Web hosting india

Hema said...

nice write..very true.People don't have to be convent educated or have polished language to be communicative. Not everybody knows or is good in english and that's understandable.But they definitely need to get a grip on their slangs thrown in every other word.It's really annoying!